Wednesday, July 7, 2010

The Country Way . . . . . .

My sweet neighbor brought over some fresh vegetables from his garden the other day. We were so grateful because as I mentioned earlier we did not have a garden this year. (I keep forgetting the cherry tomato plant we did get and is on our back porch.) But he brought over BIG tomatoes. My, there is nothing like homegrown food. They were still warm from the sun when he brought them over. There were tomatoes, hot peppers of all kinds (yea !) and cukes (cucumbers).

Because he usually brings more than we can eat or cook before wasting I always bring some to share with co-workers. Alas, I have no time for canning right now (another of my favorite things to do). The veggies are usually gone within 5 minutes of putting them on the table in the break room - no joke. Every year they ask me when they can get some homegrown veggies. They were really disappointed in me this year.

One of my favorite sayings is - that is the country way. And country way is how neighbors help neighbors in my "neck of the woods." That is almost a lost art. Whether it be loaning out or helping to repair farm equipment or just bringing over extra vegetables - our small group of neighbors look out for each other. We have one neighbor, who, being a former "city fella", is rather light on knowledge of knowing how to fix his tractor (and many other farming chores). AH has helped him many times.

Just the other day on the way home from work I saw cows out on the road. That is always a BIG deal out here. They have to be gotten off the road - they get spooked and it can get very dangerous. This particular time I recognized the brand so after a couple of phone calls I had some help, grabbed my black mud boots (which I always have with me - the country way) and we herded them back to their pasture and put up a temporary barrier until their owner got home. When you don't recognize the cows or there is no brand you have to put them up in your place temporarily while you drive around inquiring whose they might be. Almost always, someone will know the owner and how to get in touch with them.

Last winter we were headed to town very early. It was very cold and we saw a neighbor's cow had just given birth. The new calf was too weak to get up - if they don't get up pretty soon they usually don't make it. While AH got out and ran to it and put a blanket (another - always must have with you item - you got it - the country way) around it - I got the owner and we got it to the barn.

There are many, many more ways neighbors help neighbors - you got it - in the country.

That is JUST the country way . . . . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment